In modern design, the aesthetic is controlled and organized, focusing more on hardscape and structure than landscape. Popular materials used in modern landscaping include concrete, metal and wood with the overall goal of creating contrast.
A few key elements of modern design include:
- A paved area planted with a grid of greenery
- Plants are usually green and selected for shape and texture
- Pops of color introduced in furnishings
- A brightly painted accent wall to add color
- Weathered corten steel used as planters, as a privacy screen or even as small retaining walls